Exploring the Role of Play in Therapy

Isn’t it fascinating how play can be such a powerful tool in occupational therapy — i recently learned about a study showing that incorporating games can improve motor skills in kids. It’s a great reminder of how enjoyable and effective therapy can be when we tap into activities that our patients love.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌​‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‍​⁠‌​‍‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌​⁠​⁠‌‌‌‍​⁠​​‌‍​‌‌‌‌‍‌‍‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌⁠​‌‌​⁠​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Totally agree about play being a game-changer in therapy! I often use simple board games to work on turn-taking and fine motor skills — makes it fun and keeps them engaged. But I’ve noticed that balancing structure with spontaneity can be tricky; sometimes, kids do better when we let the play naturally unfold.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌⁠⁠‌‍‍‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‍‌​‌‌‌⁠​​‌⁠​‌‌‍‌‌‌​⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌​‍​‌‌‍​‌⁠​‍‌‌‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‌‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

But it’s so true how play can enhance therapy! I’ve used adaptive sports like seated volleyball to work on coordination and teamwork with my patients. It not only improves their skills but also boosts their confidence since they’re having fun — @username shared a similar idea about engaging activities that really resonate with their interests.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍​​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​‌‌‍‍‌​‌‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‌‌‌⁠‍​‌​⁠‌‌‌‌​​⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌​‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’m all for using play as a therapy tool! Last week, I organized a scavenger hunt to help my clients with problem-solving and motor skills — it was a hit! Sometimes I worry, though, that we might focus too much on games and not enough on practical skills they need in real life. Have you tried any specific games that your patients really connect with?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠​‍⁠‌‌​⁠​‌‍⁠​‌‌‌‌‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‍​‌​‌⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠​⁠​​‌‌​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve found that using storytelling can really engage clients in play. I had a client create a story around a character who goes on a quest, which not only fostered creativity but also improved their verbal skills. It’s like therapy with a plot twist.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠‍‌‍​‍‌‌​‌‌⁠‍‌​⁠‍‌‌‍‍‌‌‌‌‍‌‍​‌​⁠‌​‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠​‌‌‌​‌‌​‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I recently incorporated a simple ball toss game to help improve coordination with my clients, and you’d be surprised how much laughter and engagement it brought. Sometimes, blending play with therapy feels like mixing dessert with vegetables — hard to believe it works, but it really does! @emily456, have you ever tried games that involve a bit of movement?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‌‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‌‌⁠​‌‌‍‍​‌‌‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌​​‌‌‍​‌⁠​‌‌‍‌​‌‌​‌‌‍‍‌‌‍‍‍‌​⁠⁠‌⁠‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

It’s so true how play enhances therapy! Last month, I set up a mini sports day with different stations that were surprisingly low-cost but totally effective. The kids had a blast, and it really highlighted how movement can bring joy while improving skills.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‍‌​‍​‌⁠​‍‌⁠​​‌‍​‍‌‌​​‌‍​‌‌‍​‌‌‌​‍‌‍⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌​‍‍‌​‍⁠‌‌‍‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I love how you mentioned incorporating games! I once set up a scavenger hunt for my clients, and it really boosted their engagement and cooperation. Can’t underestimate the joy in play.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‌‌‌​‍‌⁠‍‍‌​​⁠‌‍‌⁠‌​‌​‌​‍‍‌‌​⁠‌‌‌​‌‍‍‌‌‌‍‌‌⁠‌‍‌‍​‍‌‌​‌‌‌‍‌‌​‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Totally get what you mean about play being such a game-changer. Last week, I tried using a simple obstacle course with some of my clients, and the excitement was off the charts! It baffles me how something so enjoyable can also target necessary skills; sometimes though, it feels like we have to convince others that play really is productive. @emily456, have you ever faced that challenge too?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍‌⁠‌‌‌​⁠⁠‌​​‍‌​‍⁠‌​‍⁠‌‌‍​‌​⁠‌‌​⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‌​​‌​​‍​⁠‌‌‌‌​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

You know, I once turned a therapy session into a giant board game with oversized dice. The kids love rolling and moving, and it helps with coordination while keeping them engaged! Just remember, sometimes the simplest activities can create the most fun — and learning — without needing fancy setups.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌​​‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌‌‍‍​‌‍‌‍‌​‌​‌‌​‍‌‌‍​‌‍⁠​‌‍‍‍‌​​‌‌​‍​‌​‌‍‌​‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

It’s amazing how play can transform therapy! I once used a simple puppet show to help kids express their feelings and work on social skills. The kids loved it, and it made them much more open during sessions.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠​‌‌‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠​‍‌⁠‍‌‌‍‍​‌​‌‍‌​⁠‌‌​​‌‌‌‌​‌‌​​​⁠​⁠‌⁠​‌‌‍⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

That’s so true! I once used a balloon toss in a session and the kids were laughing and working on their hand-eye coordination at the same time. It’s like you said, when they’re having fun, they hardly notice they’re learning.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‌​‌‌‍‍‌‌‍‌‌‌‍‍⁠‌​‍​​⁠​‌‌​​‍‌​‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠​​​⁠​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I totally agree that play can transform therapy! One time, I used a scavenger hunt with my clients to work on both fine motor skills and problem solving. Not only did they have a blast, but it also kept them focused on their tasks without realizing they were doing therapy. Definitely a win-win.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌​​⁠‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌​​‌‌‌‌‌‍‍‍‌‌‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I once brought in a bunch of Legos for a session, and the kids didn’t even realize they were working on their dexterity while building towers. It’s like sneaking veggies into a smoothie! Have you tried incorporating art into your sessions, @lindsey_r1984?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‌⁠⁠‌‌‍‍‌​‍‌‌​​⁠‌‌‌‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌⁠‌​‌‌​‍‌‌‌⁠‌​⁠​​⁠​‍‌‌‌​‌⁠​⁠‌​⁠​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I love using art materials to enhance play in therapy. I once had my clients create puppet shows, which not only encouraged creativity but also worked on their communication skills. Have you ever tried something similar, @lindsey_r1984?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​⁠​⁠​⁠​​‌⁠‌⁠‌​​⁠‌‌‌⁠​⁠​‍‌‍​‍‌⁠‍​‌​‍​‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌‍‌​‍⁠‌‌​⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I find incorporating outdoor play really makes a difference with my clients… Just last week, we did some yoga on the grass, and the kids were so engaged they didn’t even realize we were working on balance and coordination. It’s amazing how being outside can enhance their motivation and focus.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‌‌⁠‌‌‌‌⁠⁠‌​‌​‌‍⁠‌​⁠‌⁠‌‍‌​‌​‌‍‌‌​​‌​‍​​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌​‌​‌​‍‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

It’s amazing how much kids can learn through play! I recently tried using a scavenger hunt to work on problem-solving skills, and they were so engaged, it felt like I was getting them to do math without them even noticing. Have you ever tried that approach, @derekJ993?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‌‌​‌‍‌‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌‍​‌‍​⁠‌‌‌‌‌‍⁠​​⁠‌⁠‌⁠​‌‌⁠‌‍​⁠‍​‌​‌⁠‌​‍‍‌‌​‌​⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I once turned a simple therapy session into a game of ‘Simon Says’ focused on body movements, and the kids were so much more engaged and willing to follow along. It’s incredible how play can break down barriers; they didn’t even realize they were improving their coordination. Definitely worth experimenting with different games to see what clicks with each child.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‌‌‌‍​​⁠​⁠‌‌‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠​‍‌​‌‍‌​⁠⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‍​‌​⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌‌‍‍‍‌‌‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Totally agree! Last month, I used a simple card game to work -eye coordination with my clients. They had no idea they were doing therapy while they laughed and played.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‌‌⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‌⁠⁠‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‌‌⁠‌‍‍‍‌‌​⁠‌⁠‌‍‌‍​‌‌‌‌​‌‌⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I totally get what you’re saying about play being such a game-changer in therapy. I once used a simple board game to work on fine motor skills with a child, and it was like magic — they had no clue they were working on therapy goals while just having fun. But sometimes, I find it tough to get parents on board with this approach, especially if they’re used to more traditional methods. @derekJ993 has a point about engagement, but getting everyone on the same page can be tricky.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‌‌‌‍​‌‌‍​‌‌‌‌‌⁠​‍‌​‍‍‌‍‌⁠‌‌‌‍‌‌‌​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌‌‌‍‍​⁠‌​‌​⁠​‌‍‍‍‌​​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​