Finding Adaptable Work Post-Injury

After going through rehabilitation, I’ve been thinking about how to navigate the job market with my new limitations. It can be daunting to find positions that accommodate specific needs, but there are tools and resources that can help with functional recovery. Has anyone had success using adaptive techniques in their job search? I’d love to hear your experiences.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌‌‌​⁠⁠‌‍‍‍‌‍‍‍​⁠‌⁠‌⁠​‍‌​‍‌‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​‌​⁠‌‍‌​⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌​⁠‌‌​‍‍‌⁠‍‌‌​​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Finding roles that fit your new needs can definitely feel like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Have you checked out resources like the Job Accommodation Network? They offer great insights on roles that can be adjusted to suit your capabilities.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‍‌​⁠​​⁠‍​‌‍‌​‌‍‍​‌⁠​​‌​‌‍‌‍‌‌​⁠‍‌‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‌‍‍‌⁠‍‌​⁠‌‍‌​‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I totally get where you’re coming from; after my injury, I found that reaching out to companies directly about my needs made a big difference. Tailoring your resume to highlight your adaptability can really help. Have you tried connecting with local organizations that focus on inclusive hiring?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​​‌​‌‍‌⁠​⁠‌​⁠‍‌‍⁠‍‌​​‌​⁠​‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍​‌‌​⁠‌‌​​‌‌​‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‍​​⁠‌⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Navigating this can be tough, but I found that leveraging my network really helped — I reached out to former colleagues and they pointed me toward opportunities that were a great fit. Have you tried connecting with people from past jobs for leads?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​​‌‍⁠‍‌‍⁠⁠​⁠​‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌‌‌​​‍‌⁠‍‍‌​‍⁠‌​​‌‌​‍⁠‌‍‍​‌‌‌‌‌‍‌⁠‌‌​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Have you tried using LinkedIn to connect with others in your field? Tailoring your profile can really show your strengths despite the changes. How did your rehab program help you identify your new skills?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍​‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍‍​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍​‍‌​⁠‍​⁠‌​‌‍⁠‌‌⁠‌‍‌‍‍​‌​​‍‌‍⁠‌‌​‌‍‌​‌‌‌​​‌​⁠​‍‌‌​⁠​⁠‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​